Get Oriented in the UI
Learn the basics of working in Lightup
The Lightup app has three main areas:
- The left pane lists workspaces. You can also do app-level commands such as contact support, generate API credentials, and logout from the settings wheel at the bottom.
- The top bar has tabs for working with data quality components.
- The main page changes to reflect your choices on the left pane and the top bar. This is where you work with data quality components inside a specific workspace.
The left pane: app settings and workspaces
Your app role establishes what you can do. Look at the top of the left pane to see which app role you have. For more information about app roles, see Learn about app roles.
If you're an App Admin, you'll notice an Admin menu right under the app logo. As an App Admin you can create and manage Lightup user accounts, roles, and workspaces.
If you're an App Editor, you won't find an Admin button, but you will notice the Add New Workspace button. As an App Editor, you can create and manage workspaces, and can invite other Lightup app users to your workspaces.
If you don't have an Admin menu or an Add New Workspace button, you're an App Viewer. You can be invited to join a workspace. In the left pane, you'll see a list of workspaces where you're a member. Select the arrow at the right edge of a listed workspace to open a menu of commands for that workspace.
The top bar: navigation
The top bar offers a set of tabs you can select to focus on a specific quality monitoring process in a workspace.
- Select Explorer to manage data quality while viewing your data asset structure in your Explorer tree, which shows all of the datasources in your workspace so you can focus on data assets.
- Select Metrics to focus on metrics (the aggregated, periodic queries that measure data quality).
- Select Monitors to focus on monitors (the regular checking of metric values).
- Select Incidents to review recent data quality incidents.
- Select Dashboard to open a high-level summary of data quality.
The main page: get stuff done
After you pick a workspace and a tab, data quality tools appear in the main page. All data quality work you do in the Lightup app, you do in the main page, which displays data quality tools for the workspace you selected, based on the tab you chose. For example, if you chose the Metrics tab, data quality tools specific to metrics appear on the main page.
Working in Workspaces
A workspace is a virtual space that enables team collaboration on data quality control. Every datasource, metric, monitor, incident, and dashboard, is part of a workspace. A team can have many workspaces, providing a way to separately track data quality for different domains and to iterate on design.
The workspaces you can access appear in the left pane. Simply click on one to enter the workspace. You'll do all of your data quality work inside a workspace.
You can have different roles in different workspaces. For example, you might be a workspace admin of one workspace, a workspace editor of another, and a workspace viewer of yet another. For more information, see Learn about workspace roles.
Note that your app role has no impact on your workspace roles. Your app role only dictates whether you can invite users to the Lightup Platform and whether you can create workspaces. Once you are a member of a workspace, your workspace role dictates what you can do in the workspace.
Updated 5 days ago