Compare aggregate metrics let you track the degree to which two similar aggregate metrics behave the same. Although it is possible to create a compare aggregate metric that compares aggregate metrics you just created, we recommend comparing existing metrics that you already understand. This will help ensure that you get the comparison you want, and that the metrics you compare to each other already have data.
A compare aggregate metric always compares the most recent pair of datapoints from the metrics you compare— the datapoints with the last timestamp when both metrics collected data. If either of the metrics is paused, the compare aggregate metric also pauses, and it resumes when both of the aggregate metrics are live.
In the Explorer tree, select the data asset that you want to measure.
On the asset's Explorer menu select + Create Metric:
- A new metric opens at Step 1 of the metric configuration form. Under Metric Info, select Compare aggragate.
- Enter a Metric name.
- By default, new metrics go Live shortly after you create them. If you want the metric to start off paused, under Metric status, set Status to Paused.
- If desired, change the value of Quality dimension. Each data quality metric measures one dimension of data quality: accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or (if none of these applies), custom. You can sort and filter your metrics by dimension, and you can view them summarized by dimension in a data quality dashboard.
- Select Next. Step 2 (Configure Metric) appears in the main form:
- Under Datasource and target, select datasources, schemas, and tables for Source and Target. Your choices determine what metrics you can compare.
- To the right of Metrics to compare, select Add.
- In the Add Metrics modal, (1) select two metrics that have the same aggregation interval (these are the metrics you will compare), and then (2) select Add Metrics.
- Adjust the backfill duration.
- Add any tags, then select Next to proceed to Step 3, where you can preview your metric.
Once you have configured your metric you can preview it to view its behavior over some time period. Review its behavior and modify the configuration if necessary. When you're happy with the preview, select Next to continue.
You don't have to preview your metric— just click Next to proceed to Step 4.
- A Compare Aggregate Metrics metric preview renders as a table rather than a chart.
- The table shows the difference % between the source and target metric for each metric pair, for a given time period (aggregation interval).
- Below the table a timeline control lets you choose the time period displayed in the table.
You add related metrics at Step 4 of metric configuration. Related metrics always appear in the list of metrics available during incident analysis.
- To add a related metric, select Add + and then choose a metric in the listbox that appears.
- Select Show info inside a related metric to display the metric's ID and data asset(s).
- When you've added the related metrics you want, select Create (for a new metric) or Save.
- During incident analysis of the metric, any related metrics appear in the metrics listed on the left. You can then easily add them to the Metrics of interest, making the metric chart available within the incident.
Updated about 3 hours ago