Compare aggregate metrics let you track the degree to which two similar aggregate metrics behave the same. To create one, begin at Create a metric, and choose Compare aggregate at Step 1 (Metric Info).
Plan which metrics to compare
Because there's no sample data to view when you compare two metrics, consider identifying the metrics that you will compare before you configure the custom metric. Make note of the datasource, schema, and table for both. Also check to ensure that the aggregation intervals match.
Compared metrics changes effect on compare aggregate metrics
If either metric that is compared in a compare aggregate metrics metric has its aggregation interval changed, or is deleted, then the compare aggregate metrics metric will stop working.
After you finish Step 1 (Metric Info), Step 2 (Configure Metric) appears in the main form:
- Under Datasource and target, select datasources, schemas, and tables for Source and Target. Your choices determine what metrics you can compare.
- To the right of Metrics to compare, select Add.
- In the Add Metrics modal, (1) select the metrics you want to compare, and then (2) select Add Metrics.
- Optionally, add any tags, then at the top right corner select Next to proceed to Step 3 (Preview).
Editing a metric
When you edit an existing metric:
- You'll see an option to view the metric's recent query history as well as a preview.
- The Create command changes to Save when you edit an existing metric
- Optionally, adjust the date range for the preview. If you adjust the range, you must pick a start date and an end date.
- Select Preview to generate a rendering of the metric using the specified date range. If you need to adjust the metric after checking the preview, just select the step you need to edit (use the top bar or the panel to the left of the Preview area) and resume the configuration process when you're done.
Keep in mind that a Compare aggregate metrics metric doesn't render like most metrics:
- A comparison table appears instead of a chart, with a calculated column showing the percent difference between compared values (i.e., the target metric's value minus the source value, divided by the source value). This difference can be greater than 100% and either positive or negative.
- Below the table, a timeline control lets you pick a data point by date/time.
Cancel a preview
Some datasources let you cancel a preview, for example because you noticed that date range was wrong. If cancelling is supported, you'll see a Cancel button.
- When you're satisfied with the preview, select Create at the top right corner. The Explorer tab opens and displays your new metric in the Explorer tree.
Updated 26 days ago