The procedures on this page assume your data assets are already Active. If they aren't, you can activate data assets and enable their autometrics in the same session: follow the steps on Prepare data assets.
Once a data asset is Active, you can enable its autometrics by opening the Manage metrics modal on its parent data asset (in the datasource-schema-table-column hierarchy). Autometrics work right away to help you start managing data quality as soon as possible.
- To enable autometrics for a schema, you open the Manage metrics modal on the schema's datasource.
- To enable them for a table, you open the modal on the table's schema.
- To enable them for a column, you open the modal on the column's table.
You can keep the Manage metrics modal open while you enable autometrics, and use it to navigate up or down the data asset's hierarchy. For example, when you use Manage metrics on a schema, all of the schema's tables are listed in the modal. Each table name in the list is a link to open that table in the Manage metrics modal.
- In the Explorer tree, select a datasource.
- On the Actions menu, select Manage Metrics.
- In the Manage metrics modal, enable the autometrics you want.
- Move an autometric's toggle to the right to enable it.
- Use the checkbox at the top left of the modal to bulk-select schema so you can enable the same autometrics for all of them at one time.
- When you're finished enabling schema autometrics, select a schema name in the list to open that schema in the Manage metrics modal, which then lists the schema's tables. For example, you might see something like this:
- The schema's tables are listed in the modal, along with the tables' autometrics. Enable the autometrics you want by moving the toggles to the right.
- Select a table's link to open it in the Manage Metrics modal, which lists the table's columns along with available autometrics. Use the modal like you did in prior steps to enable any autometrics.
All of these autometrics are calculated over specified periods of time, the aggregation interval for the metric.
|Autometric||Supported data assets||What it measures|
|Activity||All||Structural changes to data assets (a measure of accuracy). Table Activity measures columns added or dropped from a schema, Column Activity measures columns added or dropped from a table, and Category Activity measures categories added or dropped from a column.|
|Data delay||Schemas, tables||Delays in the arrival of expected data into data assets (a measure of timeliness).|
|Data volume||Schemas, tables||Deviations from expected data volumes (a measure of completeness).|
|Distribution||Columns||Changes in the distribution of values.|
|Null percent||Columns||Changes in the percent of values that are null.|
Updated 16 days ago